The current market situation and regulatory environment are creating significant challenges for the insurance industry: Largely stagnating markets and the downturn in capital income is leading to heightening cost pressures and continuously increasing demands for transparency.
Regulatory requirements such as Solvency II, IMD 2 or far-reaching changes in accountancy practices in IFRS IV continue to tie up significant resources.
Customer behavior has also changed considerably and answers need to be found to the resulting new challenges: On the one hand, there is little awareness of the necessity for old age provisions, especially among the young generation, while on the other hand changes in consumption behavior (e.g. the new understanding of mobility “using instead of owning”) also lead to different needs when it comes to risk protection. The more intensive use of mobile communication and digital media to interact with customers is forcing insurance companies to rethink their business models.
Access to the customer is and always will be the key success factor. Yet it is especially here that the parameters are shifting: Aggregators offer comprehensive possibilities for comparing commodity needs and use them to attract customers. Non-industry players are using their digital presence to broker insurance services, and car insurance companies are becoming increasingly involved in the sales process for new vehicles.
There is also a redistribution of the value chain in the commercial and industrial sector (e.g. through captives), and corporate customers are redefining their needs. Reinsurers are shifting from risk transfer partner to “system supplier” with the aim of optimizing capital.
In order to meet these challenges head on, insurance companies are adapting their business models, realigning their sales and operations models, optimizing their cost structures, and using integrated corporate performance management to secure sustainable development.
We accompany our clients in finding the right strategy and solutions, from concept design through to implementation in the line. Together we develop and manage real-world measures and programs with the goal of achieving the desired performance improvements and change in the company. We let the results speak for our performance – right from day one.
“Insurance policies are sold, not bought”. And this understanding of sales is only one reason why the insurance industry is very special. This is why – alongside our general competences – we offer bespoke solutions for the insurance industry.
With our Strategic Excellence approach we provide our clients with support in designing and implementing their strategy process – especially against the background of the minimum requirements for risk management (MaRisk) and the challenges created by changing customer behavior and the associated digital transformation. Together we will analyze your current state, develop your corporate and division strategies and implement them with the help of a strategic targeting system.
In order to anchor strategy in your company, we accompany insurance companies and financial services providers in the development and implementation of incentive systems and ensure they are compliant with current laws. Additionally, we have extensive change management experience to ensure we engender the necessary willingness to change.
- Customer-centric transformation and customer experience management (customer journeys)
- Development of strategies for sales through tied agency networks and brokers, for bancassurance, and for digital sales
- Development of business line and product strategies and of company insurance solutions
- Development of cooperation strategies and annex strategies for emotionalizing insurance solutions
- Integration of InsureTechs into the strategy process
Sales Performance Excellence
Competition has also increased sharply in recent years in sales, while at the same time demands from both customers and regulatory overseers have continued to grow. These give rise to further demands upon the sales strategy and its implementation.
We support our clients in developing their sales and growth strategies and help them to generate sales success by raising the net sales time and optimizing their customer service and advisory approaches. We also accompany them in the design of customer-centric, omni-channel sales concepts in order to align their different sales channels holistically with sales performance and profitability.
We continuously identify and analyze current and future success factors for sustainable, earnings-based growth in sales as a part of our studies on Sales Performance Excellence. Our short surveys provide executives in sales at board and division level the possibility to analyze their own Sales Performance Excellence and compare their position with the other participants.
The main topics of our service portfolio are as follows:
- Further development of customer/ broker segmentation
- Optimization of customer service concepts and advisory approaches
- Optimization of net sales time
- Ongoing development of sales performance management and sales controlling
- Optimization of sales channel management
- Further development of remuneration models
Operational Excellence is a key factor for sustainable financial success and turns the service portfolio of an insurance company into something the customer can truly experience. End-to-end responsibility for processes and systematic process management help to secure sustainable optimization. Lean management approaches can be successfully adapted to the insurance industry to improve the service and cost position and thus make the operating model competitive. Additionally, our holistic process management approach facilitates the creation and embedding of overarching process management governance and sustainable, continuous process optimization approaches.
Our ongoing study “Operational Excellence in Financial Industries” provides the COO and those in charge of operations and organization at board and division level the possibility to analyze and compare their operational excellence.
The main topics of our service portfolio are as follows:
- Industrialization and optimization of core processes (operations and claims)
- Construction or expansion of active claims management
- Concept design and construction of integrated production planning and performance management systems
- Further development of capacity management and establishment of workforce management
Transformation, Cost Efficiency & Profitability Enhancement
The operating model of an insurance company is the hallmark of its customer and brokerage service. We are a leading provider of transformation projects for operations and claims models, as well as comprehensive digitization projects. Our service portfolio “Sourcing Management” will accompany your analyses and decisions on optimizing or shortening the value chain. In all our work, our recommendations are always based on sound process cost analyses. One of the core competences of Horváth & Partners is the concept design and implementation of cost-cutting programs.
- New model design for the target operating model in operations and claims
- Concept design and orientation of customer and broker services 2.0 for the optimal usage of customer touch points
- Sustainable cost-cutting and earnings enhancement programs in operations, sales, claims and corporate functions
Finance & Risk Excellence
The implementation of new far-reaching regulatory requirements, dealing with the persistently low interest rates, and high competitive pressure continuously creates new demands upon CFOs and CROs in the insurance industry. These volatile market conditions frequently require a reorientation of the business models.
At the same time, the performance management of insurance companies needs to be revamped to harmonize economic and regulatory aspects and to refocus the business models on customer centricity.
We use our Finance & Risk Excellence approach to offer executives, senior managers and CxOs in the finance and risk functions of insurance and financial services companies a wide range of solutions in terms of:
- Redesigning the CFO and CRO strategy in the light of the changing regulatory frameworks for insurance companies
- Further developing the performance management of insurance companies to create a harmonized approach to economic, regulatory, forward-looking and customer-centric control variables
- Adapting planning, forecasting and reporting on the basis of a new, forward-looking performance management approach (e.g. driver-based planning and performance management)
- Redesigning and transforming the operating model for finance and risk management functions
- Leveraging digitization potentials with the help of predictive analytics and uniform data storage concepts by using business intelligence solutions and Big Data approaches aimed at integrating the performance management requirements of the finance and risk functions
Our ongoing study "Finance & Risk Excellence" provides an excellent basis for determining the status quo and deriving your target image using comparative analyses with the market.
We offer a holistic and integrated approach to IT performance management based on tried-and-tested approaches of corporate performance management. Our clients are both IT service providers for the financial services industry and internal IT departments. We have many years of experience in sourcing & IT outsourcing, especially in holistic tendering and award management from tender concepts to transition including sustainable service provider performance management. Our expertise in the management of major IT projects and programs rounds off our service portfolio.
- Deriving the IT strategy to implement the digitization agenda
- Value-based performance management for IT departments and IT service providers of insurance companies
- IT outsourcing management
- IT project and program management as part of “change the insurance” programs
At Horváth & Partners we offer deeply-rooted expert knowledge in setting up IT and process platforms for the digitization of core business processes in the finance industry. Within our Operational Excellence projects we are a one-stop shop for the necessary industry and IT expertise. We combine business and IT transformation synergetically and put current technology know-how at your disposal:
- Derivation of IT strategy to implement your digitization agenda
- Concept design and structure of digitization and processing platforms
- Further development of the digital IT and process architecture
- Selection and introduction management of IT solutions for production and platform management in operational units
- Strategic and commercial optimization of the IT architecture of banks and insurance companies