Machine Building companies are facing the challenge that the corona crisis comes on top of a downturn in the industry which already began in 2018. In 2019 the order entry and therefore the order backlog in the industry declined throughout the entire year for several reasons, which will remain relevant. Most companies already organized the survival mode and quickly responded to the corona crisis with short term measures.
Which structural mid-and long-term changes are going to affect the industry?
We suggest 5 strategic measures for machine building companies:
- Streamline the organizational structure
- Push digitization, especially in sales
- Improve resilience of the supply chain
- Utilize opportunities to take over business from competitors
- Strong catalyzer for digital business models
Dr. Ralf Sauter